This historic Train sits beside the historic Train Station which was built in 1926. The station is still in use today as the home of the Flagstaff Visitor Center.
For you train buffs:
Arizona Lumber and Timber Company purchased this Baldwin Steam Engine in 1917 for lumbering operations in and around Flagstaff, where the engine spent its entire working life. The City of Flagstaff purchased No. 25 in 1995. Canvas water bags hung out the engine’s window & eventually rubbed off the number 5 on each side, resulting in Two Spot’s affectionate Nickname. This engine was made in Philadelphia in January of 1911. It is Baldwin 35938.
Known to the locals as “Two Spot”, number 25 spent its entire working life in the Ponderosa pine forests of Flagtsaff. The locomotive originally operated for the Greenlaw Lumber Company as No. 25 for 14 years. In 1925 the locomotive was sold to the Central Arizona Railroad, still as No. 25. In 1941 it became Saginaw and Manistee Lumber Co. No. 25. In 1953 it was sold to Southwest Lumber Mills and re-numbered to No. 2. No. 2 was rebuilt with a new boiler and firebox in 1950. No. 2 was retired in 1966 and placed on display as No. 25 at the Southwest Forest Industries facilities in Flagstaff.